Went for a run with middle child today; She rode her bike the whole 4 mile distance along side me. We wanted to see the prairie dogs who live next to the trail. They were absent but the cows and calves were on the trail along with the cow pies. She wove around the cow pies and I jumped over them. When we were back on the road she got two shout outs from other cyclists who were impressed with her abilities. We went through the tunnel on the way home yelling echo the whole way, which is always a treat for the kids on their bikes. I'm guessing that the first time I biked 4 miles was when I was 10 or 11 so she's way ahead of her old man.
Well I've got a 15 miler to run this weekend. Weather forecast looks to be perfect for the next 5 days and it's shaping up to be a great March. At this stage in the ultra-marathon prep, my cardio is way ahead of my leg strength. I've have to let my legs catch up to my cardio and not put too much stress on my joints (knees and achilles tendons) too soon. Easier said than done.
I was a vegetarian for 10 months last year and I can't say that it went well with my training. I'm not a cook nor great planner when it comes to getting alternative protein and other minerals found in meat. I did lose weight on the vegetarian diet but I definitely lacked the energy that I have now. There is no doubt that a vegetarian diet can work, many of the top ultrarunners are vegetarian and some like Scott Jurek are even vegan.
No comments:
Post a Comment